Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions on how to plan your journey to the Summer School.
1. Saarbrücken AirportSaarbrücken Airport is located east of Saarbrücken. It provides regular air connections to Hamburg (HAM) and Berlin-Tegel (TXL), both of which may serve as transfer airports to international destinations.
Saarbrücken airport is easily accessible from the city of Saarbrücken. The fee for a taxicab ride to the city center will amount to approximately €35 and take around 20 minutes. The fee for a bus ride to the city center (line 10) will amount to €2.60 and take around 30 minutes. flughafen-saarbruecken.de (German, English and French versions).
2. Paris or Luxembourg AirportYou may also opt for an international flight to Paris Charles-de-Gaulle Airport (CDG) or to Paris Orly Airport (ORY) in France.
Transportation from there to the train station "Gare de l’Est" will take roundabout 30-60 minutes. From there, high-speed trains (TGV/ICE) will take you to Saarbrücken central station in about 1.50 hrs. Train tickets for the TGV/ICE must be booked in advance and amount to around €80. We recommend to book train tickets from "Gare de l’Est" to Saarbrücken central station via the website of the German provider Deutsche Bahn, available at bahn.de (German, English and French versions available).
Please find further information on Paris Charles-de-Gaulle Airport at parisaeroport.fr (more than 10 languages available).
Information on travelling via Paris Orly Airport is provided at airport-orly.com (English version available).
Alternatively, you may also opt to arrive via Luxembourg Airport (LUX), from where transfer to Saarbrücken city center via bus takes roundabout 1.20 hrs. (See information on Luxembourg Airport below.)
3. Frankfurt AirportParticipants arriving at Frankfurt International Airport (FRA) can transfer to Saarbrücken central station by direct regional train (approx. 2.35 hrs, fee around €40) or by high-speed train (approx. 2.08 hrs, fee around €50), the latter of which requires changing trains at Mannheim central station.
Please find further information on Frankfurt International Airport at frankfurt-airport.com (German, English and Chinese versions available).
Tickets for a train ride from Frankfurt International Airport to Saarbrücken central station are bookable on the website of the German provider Deutsche Bahn, available at bahn.de (German, English and French versions available).
4. Further nearby airports (Luxembourg; Metz)Luxembourg Airport (LUX) provides regular air connections to numerous international airports such as Paris Charles-de-Gaulle (CDG), Frankfurt Airport (FRA), London Heathrow (LHR) and London City (LCY), Birmingham (BHX), Düsseldorf International Airport (DUS), Amsterdam Schiphol (AMS), and Zürich Airport (ZRH).
Please find further information on the Luxembourg airport at lux-airport.lu (German, English and French versions available).
The Metz-Nancy-Lorraine Airport is a regional airport which has direct connections to various destinations in France.
Please find further information on the website at metz-nancy-lorraine.aeroport.fr (only French version available).
5. Travelling in SaarbrückenSaarbrücken itself also has an excellent public transportation system connecting the city center with Saarland University. Please find further information at saarvv.de.
Further information on how to travel to Saarland University are available at uni-saarland.de.